How to create a poll
Sign in (optional)
A YouPoll account is not required to create a poll. However, signing in to your account first will save the poll to your user page. There are other benefits to creating an account. Read the benefits of an account guide to learn more.
A poll has 1 question and a survey has multiple questions. You can create polls and surveys on YouPoll. Currently, you can have up to 30 questions per survey. To add a question, click the green plus button. To remove a question, click the red minus button.
Select poll type
For each question select a poll type by clicking the Basic Poll or Rating Poll tab. Read the types of polls guide for more information on which poll to use. The next step is to complete each poll form.
The basic poll form has a question field and option fields. You must complete the question field and at least 2 option fields to create a valid basic poll. Currently, you can have up to 300 options for each basic poll. The basic poll form also has a drop-down field to select the type of voting you want to use. The following voting types are available:
- Basic voting (default)
- Participants select 1 option to vote on. This is also known as plurality voting. The "Let voters add their own options" setting is available with this voting type. Checking this lets participants write in their own options. You must complete the question field to create a valid basic poll with this setting enabled.
- Approval voting
- Participants can select multiple options to vote on. You decide how many options a participant must select.
- Range voting
- Participants give each option a score from 0 (worst) to 100 (best). This is also known as score voting.
- Ranked voting
- Participants arrange the options in order from best to worst. This is also known as the Borda count.
- Probability voting
- Participants allocate 100 points (%) based on the probability of each option. Options should be mutually exclusive (i.e. only 1 of the options will occur). This is also known as odds voting.
The rating poll form has a question field, minimum value field and maximum value field. You must complete every field to create a valid rating poll. The minimum value field and maximum value field accept numbers between -150 and 150.
Select poll settings
- Allow unlimited voting
- This lets participants vote as many times as they want. There are no voting restrictions and the poll is very easy to manipulate.
- Limit voting by browser
- This limits participants to 1 vote per browser. Voting is less restrictive than limiting by IP address. The poll is easier to manipulate.
- Limit voting by IP address (default)
- This limits participants to 1 vote per IP address. Voting is more restrictive than limiting by browser. The poll is harder to manipulate.
- Require Reddit login to vote
- This limits participants to 1 vote per Reddit account. You can also set the minimum link karma, comment karma and account age (in days) required to vote. Voting is very restrictive and the poll is very hard to manipulate.
- Improve spam prevention (captcha)
- Check this setting to add Google reCAPTCHA to the poll. Participants must complete a test to prove they are human before voting. This helps prevent participants from spamming votes to manipulate the poll.
- Limit the total number of responses
- Check this setting to set a vote limit for the poll. Voting stops once the poll reaches the vote limit.
Click the "CREATE POLL" button when you have completed all the necessary fields. This will submit the form and redirect you to the new poll.